Introducing: The tiniest social dance floor in the world!
‘Swing at The Bothy’ is the notorious biweekly swing social dance run by The Swing Era, a swing dance school in Birmingham (United Kingdom). The Bothy is a shed with rustic charm in the beer garden of the beautiful independent Prince of Wales pub in Moseley. ‘ Swing at the Bothy’ is sometimes referred to as Birmingham’s version of Herrang… but then a tiny notch smaller! Ever since The Swing Era started running classes at a nearby dance school in 2014 the students have come to The Bothy for a drink and a dance after class.
We boldly make the claim that THIS IS the tiniest social dance floor in the world! Is there anyone who can beat this?
- 5×3 meter (15m2)
- Record number of 43 swing dancers dancing at the same time (2017)
- Record number of 14 swing dance couple dancing at the same time (2018)
- A 5 piece swing band performing live (2017) (see video below)
- Performances of the Shim Sham, Tranky Do and… even The Big Apple take place regularly (see video below)
Other fun facts:
- The DJ booth is the first seat on the bench on the left (everybody knows this)
- Dancers have travelled from far and wide to attend this social: USA, Canada, Romania, Lithuania, Portugal, Korea, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Holland, Italy, Nigeria, Australia, Scotland, France, Wales, Mexico, Greece, Spain and India
- Regular visitors are now masters in floor craft
See ‘Swing at The Bothy’ in action!
The Big Apple performed to a 5-piece swing band in The Bothy:
The Shim Sham record in The Bothy:
Visit the tiniest social dance floor in the world!
- Every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month
- 8-9pm Beginners social dance practice
9-11pm social dance
- Free event
- Find the next event on our Facebook